- What is Write To China?
Write To China is an annual essay competition hosted by the Foreign Policy Community of Indonesia (FPCI) in cooperation with the Embassy of the People’s Republic of China in Jakarta. Under the official name of “China-Indonesia Youth Exchange Program,” this essay competition’s objective is to increase people-to-people diplomacy between the People’s Republic of China and the Republic of Indonesia, especially the youths.
- Is there any registration fee?
No, this essay competition is free of charge. You just need to submit your personal details and essay on the following link: bit.ly/writetochina19.
- Is there an age requirement?
Yes, you must be aged between 18 to 24 years old.
- Who is eligible to enter this essay competition?
All students, aged 18-24 years old are eligible to enter this essay competition. As long as you’re registered as a student at any level of education and have a valid student ID, you are eligible to join. Fresh graduates are unable to enter this essay competition. If you have graduated by the time of trip (March-April), then you are ineligible to enter.
- Can Indonesians studying abroad apply to the program?
If you are going to be in Indonesia during the time of the trip, then you may apply. The committee will not cover the cost of the flight to/from Indonesia.
- Is it a fully funded program?
Yes, Write to China is a fully funded program, where the committee will cover all visa process and fees as well as transportation, accommodation, and meals during the trip.
- How many winners will be selected? And what is the prize?
We will select 20 best essays to join the two-week exchange program to several cities in China and Indonesia.
- Will I get a certificate by joining this program?
Only the 20 winners will get the certificate.
FOR THE WINNERS
- When will the trip take place?
The trip will take place in the last week of March until the first week of April 2019.
- Do I need to have a valid passport to join this program?
As you will be traveling outside the country, you need to have a valid passport by the time of the trip. The committee will not assist in your passport-making process, so please make sure your passport has not expired 6 months prior to October 2019.
- Do we have to be really fluent in English?
A basic understanding of English would be beneficial since you will be traveling along with Chinese students.
- Do the winners have to join the trip?
Yes, all winners must join the trip from the day of the departure to the final day of the program.
ABOUT THE ESSAY
- What is the main theme of the essay?
The main theme of this year’s Write to China is Strengthening Indonesia-China Bilateral Relations. Please keep in mind that every participant can write about any subject — political, economic, social, cultural, etc. — as long as it fits into the theme.
- Is there a word limit for the essay?
Yes, the essay shall be no less than 1,000 words and shall not exceed 1,500 words.
- Can I submit my essay in a language other than English?
No, unfortunately, we will only review essays written in English.
- Will you consider co-authored essays?
No, the essay must be written by one person only.
- What personal details should I include in the essay?
You are allowed to put your name and your university in your essay after the title.
- Is there any format for the essay?
Fonts:Your essay should be word processed in 12-point Times New Roman font.
Spacing:Your essay spacing should be 1,5.
Title:Your essay should include a title. The title should be bolded, centered, and be in the same fonts as the rest of your essay, with no quotation marks, no underlining, and no italics.
Margins:Your essay should have a one-inch margin on the top, bottom, left, and right
- What are the aspects that will be reviewed from the essay?
The essay will be reviewed based on its grammar, vocabulary, topic relevance, and argument strength.
- Do we have to include references, bibliography, and footnotes on the essay?
We encourage the participants to provide some references for the arguments borrowed from other sources. If the essay is based on personal experience, it does not require citation.
- When is the deadline to submit my essay?
All submissions are due by 23:59 WIB on Sunday, February 10th, 2018.
- Where can I submit my essay?
You can submit your essay on the following link: bit.ly/writetochina19
You can also read the previous winning essay here.