Virtual Jakarta Forum on ASEAN-China Relations 2020 – ASEAN-China Cooperation in Dealing with the COVID-19 Pandemic
On Friday, 29 May 2020, Mission of the People’s Republic of China to ASEAN and the Mission of the Republic of the Philippines to ASEAN have successfully co-hosted the first Jakarta Forum on ASEAN-China Relations 2020 titled “ASEAN-China Cooperation in dealing with the COVID-19 Pandemic.” The forum was attended by more than 1,000 viewers with fifteen (15) experts from ASEAN countries and China joining the forum as discussants.
This special discussion is part of Jakarta Forum series designed to promote dynamic intellectual collaboration and comprehensive discussion between relevant stakeholders on the ASEAN – China relationship. This year discussion aims to explore the ways on how both ASEAN member countries and China can develop cooperation at the time of the COVID-19 pandemic and envision the relationship after this health crisis ends.
The forum was started with opening remarks from H.E. Noel Eugene Eusebio Servigon. He echoed the spirit of cooperation to combat COVID-19 and emphasized that a full of ASEAN community approach is required to effectively address this pandemic. The forum was continued with three keynote speeches delivered by H.E. Kung Phoak, Deputy Secretary-General (DSG) of ASEAN for ASEAN Socio-Cultural Community (ASCC), H.E. Deng Xijun, Ambassador of China to ASEAN, and H.E. Jose Tavares, Director General of ASEAN Cooperation, Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Indonesia before the moderated discussion led by Prof. Dewi Fortuna Anwar began. The founder of FPCI, Dr. Dino Patti Djalal, gave closing remarks at the end of the event.
List of experts from ASEAN countries and China who participated as discussants:
- Tan Sri Dr. Jemilah Mahmood, Special Advisor to the PM of Malaysia on Public Health & Former USG at IFRC in Geneva.
- Dr. N. Paranietharan, WHO Country Representative to Indonesia
- Dr. Dinna Prapto Raharja, FPCI’s China Policy Group (CPG)
- Lydia Ruddy, Economic Research Institute for ASEAN and East Asia (ERIA)
- Dato Abdul Majit Ahmad Khan, Adjunct Professor, Institute of China Studies, University of Malaya, Malaysia
- Dr. Jayant Menon, Visiting Senior Fellow, ISEAS, Singapore
- Dr. Vannarith Chheang, President of the Asian Vision Institute (AVI), Chairman of the Advisory Council of the National Assembly of Cambodia
- Dr. Henry Chan, Visiting Senior Research Fellow Cambodia Institute for Cooperation & Peace
- Irene Chan, Associate Research Fellow, Rajaratnam School of International Studies (RSIS) NTU, Singapore
- Dr. ZHANG Jie, Research Fellow, Head of Security and Foreign Affairs Department, National Institute of International Strategy, the Chinese Academy of Social Sciences (CASS)
- YANG Yue, Associate Professor and Deputy Director, Institute of Asian Studies, China Foreign Affairs University (CFAU)
- Dr. TANG Qifang, Associate Research Fellow, Department for International and Strategic Studies, China Institute of International Studies (CIIS)
- Dr. Dafri Agus Salim, Director of ASEAN Study Center, Universitas Gadjah Mada, Yogyakarta
- Dr. Shofwan Al-Banna, FPCI’s China Policy Group
- Hadi Kuntjara, Ph.D, Executive Director of The Habibie Center