Five years after ASEAN establishment in 1967, Japan had its first dialogue, and on the 10th anniversary of ASEAN, Japan announced the Fukuda Doctrine. The Fukuda Doctrine promises Japan’s resolve to be a nation committed to peace and never again become a military power, to consolidate our relationship of mutual confidence and trust based on a “heart-to-heart” understanding as a true friend, and to support ASEAN’s own efforts to strengthen their solidarity and resilience as an “equal partner”.
Since then, the relationship between ASEAN and Japan has continued to develop, and this year, we commemorate the 50th Year of ASEAN-Japan Friendship and Cooperation. Taking this opportunity, the Government of Japan (GoJ) will work with ASEAN to promote various commemorative events to highlight and further strengthen the longstanding relations between ASEAN and Japan.
The Mission of Japan to ASEAN in cooperation with Foreign Policy Community of Indonesia is organising the “Commemorative Symposium for the 50th Year of ASEAN-Japan Friendship and Cooperation”. This symposium is a major kick-off event in Jakarta to deepen the understanding of the development of the ASEAN-Japan relationship for half a century and to discuss the way forward to elevate it to a new stage with a view to promoting peace, stability and prosperity in the Indo-Pacific region and beyond.
Date: Monday, 13 February 2023
Time: 10.00 – 12.30 Jakarta time
H.E. Kiya Masahiko, Ambassador of Japan to ASEAN
H.E. Dr. Kao Kim Hourn, Secretary-General of ASEAN
Dr. Dino Patti Djalal, Founder and Chairman of Foreign Policy Community of Indonesia
“Realizing a Sustainable and Resilient Society for the Epicentrum of Growth: How to Make Most of AOIP Cooperation”
Time: 10.30 – 11.15 Jakarta time
- Dr. Aizawa Nobuhiro, Associate Professor at Kyushu University, Member of Expert Panel for the 50th Year of ASEAN-Japan Friendship and Cooperation
- Mr. Satvinder Singh, Deputy Secretary-General for ASEAN Economic Community (TBC)
- Mr. James Villafuerte, Principal Economist, Asian Development Bank
- Juita Mohamad, Director, Economics and Business Unit and Director of Research of IDEAS Malaysia
Realizing Regional Peace and Stability for the Epicentrum of Growth: How to Make Most of ASEAN-Led Mechanisms and Initiatives
Time: 11.30 – 12.15 Jakarta Time
- Dr. R.M. Marty Natalegawa, Former Foreign Minister of Indonesia
- Dr. Mie Oba, Professor at Kanagawa University, Chairperson of Expert Panel for the 50th Year of ASEAN-Japan Friendship and Cooperation
- Mr. Arima Yutaka, Director General of Southeast and Southwest Asian Affairs Department, Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan
- Dr. Thitinan Pongsudhirak, Professor and Senior Fellow, Institute of Security and International Studies
- Thomas Daniel, Senior Fellow at ISIS Malaysia
Free! Registration at bit.ly/50AJFC